Sunday, May 1, 2016

an example

It turns out your business model is wrong for me. I knew what your business model is, I just had to think about the implications. I do like your visual design ... quite a bit ... after two visits separated by a long interval ... but it's true I could still be kidding myself ... but I don't think so. I also like one part of your business model a lot, it's just that I don't like the other part of it. But a company's business model is a touchy subject. If I insist that I am correct, or even that my opinion matters in any way - such as to say you will suffer some consequence, if you don't heed my advice, which is not what I am saying - then I don't do you a service, rather, quite the opposite.

By way of explanation, I'm looking for partners, and also clients. I can't say much about the kind of partners I'm looking for so I'll talk about the kind of jobs I'm interested in, which would be consulting jobs.

What I like about your business model - and I'm even just, what, inventing what your business model might be, spinning a yarn about it ... but, that could be worth doing - is the emphasis you place on screencasting as a communication tool. I cannot, however, talk about what I think you should do with the technology, for the reason I gave above, and also for another reason, so I've hatched the idea of telling you about a couple of product concepts - conceived by me.

What if Facebook offered you a graphic of all your friends's birthdays, on a single screen, complete with images and updates. Something's off about that. What I mean is, you would see the twelve months, and your friends's profile pictures arranged in the months (for which purpose a visual algorithm that arranges the days vertically in the months works, in my experience, quite well, as an option), and their profile pictures would be attached to little clouds of notification, profile update, and message icons that could display additional details when hovered over.

In fact, it's my dream to convince Facebook to adopt some one of my ideas. I searched for "how can I get Mark Zuckerberg to read an email?" The reply was "you can't." But, there were also helpful suggestions. My scheme, which has been gradually developing, just like and image forming on the film, is to ask you to share this post.

Or some of my ideas. Listen, I would like to post 50 photos all at once ... every day. Facebook albums aren't quite up to it. I would like to post an album ... what I did today ... every day. Automating that might be ... a chore ... but it's not impossible.

And that's just the beginning - you already get that - that the beginning is important - and then what you do next becomes important. (Thus your stock's magnificent appreciation. By sheer luck I'm - in a very small way - a shareholder.)

Pouring it on thick, but, listen, the proper way to approach it is that everything gets uploaded, straight up, as it happens, or asap, to Facebook. In case there's a question, I don't think the data requirements are the slightest bit relevant. If there's a problem, we can solve it. That's an aside. Your screen, the feed from every camera, the screen from every camera, sound from every camera, all go straight to Facebook (unless you redirect them, which Facebook needs to make sure you are able to do, which means, by the way, making sure you know how to do it).

That, there, is simply fundamental. The Web simply cannot operate until it is implemented. What we have today is Web Alpha. Moving on to Web Beta means making changes.

Web Alpha still derives its structure mainly from the machine, at least, broadly interpreted. As compared to Pre Web, Web Alpha performs an almost infinitely, even perhaps infinitely larger number of operations, and its semantics are much more highly developed, but it's chaotic and erratic. The theory of it has not been articulated. The foundation of theory is linguistics, so, what are the component parts of a construct such as <captures the feeds from user's assorted devices and allows user to view and display selectively the feeds and the resulting archive>?


No comments:

Post a Comment